Facts & Information

Common Contact Information

  • Inspection Requests:
    • All Inspection Requests must be scheduled online through Citizen Self Service Portal, or by calling 559-537-7980
    • Inspectors will return phone messages between 3:30 and 4 pm each day
    • Inspectors are usually available in the office 8 to 8:30 am, 11:30 am to noon, 1 to 1:30 pm, and 3:30 to 4 pm - or by special appointment
  • Development Services Assistant
    Phone: 559-585-2581
  • Planning Development Services Assistant
    Phone: 559-585-2580
  • Building Official
    Phone: 559-585-2584
  • Building Inspectors
    Frank Rocha: 559-852-0765
    Mitch Couch: 559-852-0768
    Zack Rapp: 559-852-0787

Common Residential Projects Requiring Permits

  • Room Additions
  • Remodeling
  • Covered Patios
  • Sheds or Storage buildings greater than 120 square feet in area
  • Water Heater Replacement
  • Water Conditioner or other water treatment equipment
  • Furnace/Air Conditioner Replacement or Repair
  • Replacing or installing a new heater or fireplace, or fireplace insert
  • Re-roofing
  • Re-siding or Stucco
  • Replace or install new windows
  • New sewer or water lines
  • New or an extension of the gas piping system
  • Wood Fences over 7 feet high
  • All Masonry Fences or retaining walls
  • Garage conversions
  • Enclosing an existing patio

Common Residential Projects Not Requiring Permits

  • Sheds or Storage buildings less than 120 square feet in area; with wall height of 7 feet or less and height above grade of 10 feet or less; and require no electrical, mechanical, or plumbing work
  • Raised wood decks less than 30-inches above adjacent grade
  • Wood Fences less than 7 feet high
  • Painting, wallpapering, floor coverings, and similar finish work
  • Concrete driveways, sidewalks, or uncovered patios
    • If any of this work will be done in the public right-of-way you must call the Public Works Department at 559-585-2555 and obtain an encroachment permit (The public right-of-way is usually the first 10 feet from the face of curb towards your house)
  • Prefabricated swimming pools in which the pool walls are entirely above the adjacent grade and the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons

Although a Building Permit is not required you should call the city Planning Division at 559-585-2580, prior to starting your project, to verify compliance with zoning regulations.