Business License

Hours of Operation
Monday-Friday 8:00AM - 5:00PM

New Business License Applications will not be processed after 4:30PM

Contact: or 559-585-2512

What do I need to get a Business License?

Is your business run out of your home or rented space? If it is run out of your home, and your home is located within the city limits of Han ford, you will need a Home Occupation Permit; if you are renting space in the city limits you will need a Certificate of Occupancy. Both are issued by the Planning Department. A permit (if required) will need to be obtained before a business license can be issued.  All applicable forms needed for your application for a New Business License are, for your convenience, located at the bottom of this page.

Home Occupation Permit
Before a Business License can be issued to residents wanting to establish a home business within the City of Han ford, a Home Occupation Permit must be obtained. A Home Occupation must be a home business that is incidental to and compatible with the adjacent residential uses. It represents a legal income-producing activity by the occupant of the dwelling. The Home Occupation must conform to the regulations listed in Han ford Municipal Code Chapter 17.40, which describes operating standards, prohibited home occupation uses, and whether a home occupation will be allowed upon approval of a conditional use permit. It also lists the reasons why a home occupation permit may be revoked. 

The Home Occupation Permit is reviewed and approved by a Planner and may contain additional conditions that the applicant must adhere to. 

Once the Home Occupation Permit application has been completed and approved (usually the same day application is received) the applicant can proceed to the Finance Department, with a copy of the approved application, to apply for a business license. The Finance Department is located at 315 N. Douty Street. 

Questions about Home Occupation Permits can be directed to the Community Development Department at 559-585-2581.


As of January 1, 2022, all business licenses are issued on an annual basis, (January-December). The license fee for your first year of business will be the minimum payment. For a retail-based business the fee is $20.00 (or $40.00 if the business is located in the improvement district). If your business is a sub-contractor - $40.00, General Contractor - $60.00, if professional or other set rate business we can determine the fee for you when you sign up for your business license. The payment due date is January 31st. For Gross Receipt category licenses, fees are based upon the previous annual gross receipts. A $100 late fee will be applied after the January 31 due date, but will be reduced to $50 if paid within five (5) business days.  See Master Fee Schedule for a complete list of fees.

New Business License Application or Renewal of Business License

On September 19, 2012 Governor Brown signed into law SB-1186 which added a state fee of $1 on any applicant for local business license or similar instrument or permit, or renewal thereof.  This law was effective January 1, 2013.  The purpose was to increase disability access and compliance with construction-related accessibility requirements and to develop educational resources for businesses in order to facilitate compliance with federal and state disability laws, as specified.

New Business License Application Processing Fee - $40.00
Administrative Fee for Renewals - $10.00

Senate Bill 1186 was amended as follows:

  • January 1, 2018 through December 31, 2023, a four-dollar ($4) additional fee to be paid by any applicant for a local business license, permit or similar instrument when it is issued or renewed.   

The purpose of the fee is to increase disability access and compliance with construction-related accessibility requirements.  Additionally, the fee assists local jurisdictions in supporting the Certified Access Specialist (CASp) program (/dsa/Programs/programCert/casp.aspx)  and provides the Division of the State Architect (DSA) with funds to maintain oversight of the CASp program.

Under federal and state law, compliance with disability access laws is a serious and significant responsibility that applies to all California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public.  You may obtain information about your legal obligations and how to comply with disability access laws at the following agencies:

You can contact Governor Brown's office regarding this bill by calling (916) 445-2841